Friday, May 26, 2017

Reflection Blog


What are the three most important things you have learned this year?                                  
The three most important things I have learned this year is TIQA format because my paragraphs and my information is written very strong and it has really made me grow. Without TIQA format, my paragraphs wouldn’t be organized the right way. Next, I learned about the Holocaust. I think out of all the topics we have discussed, this one was very crucial to talk about. Many people died in this event and my teacher has the opportunity to spread the word about what happened. We can learn about our mistakes and not let history repeat itself. Finally, another important thing that I learned about this year is to be a role model. Now that I am in middle school, and I am graduating, I really had to be a role model this year since we are the “leaders” of the school. I want to mark a role in someone else’s life and going to read to little kids in Emerson really taught me to be helpful. These little kids listen to us read to them and one day, they will be in our place. We are so much older and wiser and I really do see that they look up to us eighth graders.

What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
 Something that my classmates and I did this year, that I will remember for the rest of my life is giving our "This I Believe" speeches. I put a lot of effort and heart, eventually to the point where I started crying during my speech. It was not easy, but overcoming your fear will help you in the future. In high school, there will be many instances where you will get asked to do something in the whole class, and you will not be able to say no. Mrs. Larson really did show me that public speaking is not that hard, and you will feel relieved once you finish. Opening up to my class about something so personal, felt good because I know they are not the kind to judge. Everyone got to share something about their life and we did get closer as students. Public speaking has been the worst and I am a really shy person, so this speech will never be forgotten.

What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?                                              
The nicest thing someone in our class has done for me this year is when I forgot the book, The Giver, Dena sent me the pages of what I had to read. It is amazing of how technology works these days. I really appreciated what she did for me because I would’ve gotten into consequences for not getting my homework done. I also had to do annotations or during that unit, it was called signposts. Once she sent me the pages to read, I did my annotations and was ready when the teacher came around to check who did their homework and who did not do their homework.

What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?
Something that I have taught my teacher, following my classmates is the power of enthusiasm.  I taught them to live life to the fullest and that we should never take it for granted because we should appreciate the time we have left . Remembering also, to always have a smile on your face and surround yourself with the people that are meant to be in your life.

In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?
The area that I feel I made my biggest improvements on was my argumentative essay. This unit took quite a while to finish, but it was really worth it because I strongly agreed with my reason and stuck by my side with very precise information. Something that I accomplished this year that I am proud of is getting mostly 3's and 4's throughout this language arts class. This class has taught me so much, that maybe I thought I was going to fall a little behind. The amount of homework was okay.  When students say that there was lot of homework , I think it means they do it last minute and that's when they come to a realization there is a lot of homework. But other than that, I was caught up in my work and got good grades, I'm really proud for being a strong student.

What was the most challenging part of this year for you? 
The most challenging part of the year for me was the butterfly project. Reading my poem and understanding it was a little difficult because the children who wrote the poems, used terms that I did not know. Also, this involved a lot of art , which I am not good at but it was a really interesting project.

What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it is your best?
My best piece of writing, in my opinion was one of my  Articles of the Week. I think that this was my best because in the beginning of the year, we did a lot of annotations and analyzed the text very well and that helped me develop a good way of writing. If I did not understand a word, I searched it up on the dictionary and that helped me get a clearer background knowledge of what I was going to summarize.

Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why? 
My favorite book I read this year was Night because it was really inspiring to hear how Elie overcame the Holocaust. Imagine losing your dad during this horrifying event, and now you're alone. I mean Elie had to worry about himself now and survive on his own without his father. His father was his motivation to not give up and die. It was very hard to picture what he was going through but it is great to see how he survived and he is a whole different person for what happened.

What advice would you give students who will be in this class next year? 
The advice I would give students that will be in this class next year is to pay attention to what Mrs. Larson says. She takes the time to teach you and you should respect what she does for you. Also, do not do things last minute because it will be harder for you to catch on, on what you are learning about. Do your IXL's or else you will be in working lunch until you finish them. Overall, be positive around your classmates and especially around Mrs. Larson, she is such a great teacher. Appreciate her because you will be in high school, and the things you do in her class, will help you.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment