Thursday, May 4, 2017

Literature Circle Blog

 
     The book I am currently reading with my literature circle is called Things Not Seen. It is based on a boy named Bobby suddenly waking up invisible and does not know how it happened. Bobby ends up telling his parents and at first, his parents thought he was joking, but Bobby demonstrated a trick to them so that they could believe him. He grabbed a spoon and placed it on his nose and his parents could see a spoon in mid-air. This is unusual because the day before, Bobby had a visible human body. How could a 15 year old just turn invisible all of a sudden? However, with all these questions, his fear rises because as he turns on the news, his parents got into a car accident. He is all alone now. No one can figure out that he is invisible because they will take him and break him up and his family, that is the least he wants to do. While in the house alone, he goes to the library and bumps into a blind girl named Alicia, Alicia and Bobby start talking and build a connection fast. As Bobby's parents heal, him and Alicia spend time together, and I learn a lot about their relationship continuing the book.

    Who is the most important character to you? Why?

   I think the most important character to me is Alicia. I think she is the most important character to me because I can relate to her so much even though I am not blind. Last year, in seventh grade, it was a pretty bad year for me. I was distant from a lot of people and I don't regret going through that because it made me stronger as a person. She says it seems like she was "invisible" as well as Bobby. Being seen but not noticed. I think the people who decided to put me down, came into my life as a lesson, to be the person I am today, and accept my differences and the beauty behind them. I was invisible to the people who blocked me out of their lives, they never seemed to notice me, they always had to say something that dropped my low esteem, so being invisible was part of my daily basis in school. It did hurt but God put me through those obstacles, and I overcame them with the people who did stay by my side and defended me.

    Is what you are reading believable? Why or why not?

      The book I am reading is not believable because a person cannot just become invisible. It is physically impossible for a person to disappear from their human body. It would be a scientific phenomena. It is based on a fiction story. Gravity does not work like that either. A spoon cannoot just float in mid air without scientific explanation. I think this book really has its own perspective on things, it makes it seem believable though. The police coming to check Bobby's house to see if he's there, he can feel people, the whole story seems believable but it is not. The science of this Earth does not work in a way making people invisible. I do think, that a person can be emotionally invisible to other people, but the question does ask if what I am reading is believable, and the main conflict here, is a boy becoming invisible and not knowing what happened to him. 


 

I commented on  Christian's blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment