Saturday, January 14, 2017

Book Talk


      The book I am currently reading is With Their Eyes by Annie Thomas. The genre of this book is nonfiction. With Their Eyes is about the tragic event that took place on September 11, 2001. The twin towers were attacked. Students from Stuyvesant High School experience this by being only a few blocks away from the World Trade Center. The students share their stories and how it has changed their lives since that day that has brought fear into many people’s lives. Teachers fighting to be brave for their students, evacuating the building as fast as possible, covering their face and mouth from the falling debris, all in all, this day was not going to be forgotten. The theme of With Their Eyes, is looking back at your history, whether it be terrible or fantastic, those are the moments in your life that will help shape you into the person you will be in the future.

        With Their Eyes is a really good book that I like because throughout all the struggles , the students have,  they were able to cope with the grief, sadness, anger, and share their stories with amazing details. Their lives are completely different now than before. One part I remember from this book was the story that Juan Carlos Lopez shared. Juan Carlos Lopez is  a school safety agent. When the towers were collapsing , it was his job to protect children from the falling debris. One thing I learned from him is that he has a son. Unfortunately, he states," We're going through some, ah, some post-divorce situations... I wish I could talk to him about what's going on so I could get his sense. It made me go start in tears again.... I'm picking up the puzzle pieces of mylife and putting it back together."  These quotes are explaining to me that from that day, Juan Carlos Lopez had his life changed around and focused on the real things happening in his life, like his family for example ,that is extremely important for him to regain the relationship with his son. Reading this also makes me wonder what things in my life are a puzzle?
   


                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment